Monday, November 5, 2012

Operation Agent Ink - Nov. 5

Workshop Day 3: Plotting Basics - Conceptualize, Polish, Revise
A fabulous reminder to ask questions about your characters and not to ask yes/no questions.  Our characters are multi-layered and complex.

(I still remember attending a workshop at RWA National 2012 where a famous author confessed her characters start off as one-dimensional in her first draft.  It was through every iteration of revision that she peeled back the onion.)

For SK, I need to work on the complexities of my heroine.  Why is she seeking adventure?  Why does she embrace the fantastical the hero offers?

Workshop Day 4: Scenes
Hm...this is more difficult...how to provide conflict with each scene.  I confess that sometimes I use scenes as a way to set-up.  I don't have conflict in every scene.

***

Mondays are check-in days and Thursdays are class days.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jennifer! I wanted to stop by and say thanks for joining OAI workshop! I hope the classes help you with your writing, and your WIP sounds fascinating! Best wishes with it:)

    Also, you can use scenes as a set up. But also include in that scene some sort of conflict/change. It's a sure fire way to keep your readers turning pages and not glazing over the words.

    Again, thank you for participating!
    Talynn

    ReplyDelete