Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Operation Agent Ink - Nov. 7

Operation Agent Ink has kindly extended the deadline for sign-ups!

Workshop 5: Characters
Ah, those lovely little people who just don't seem to do what we want!  There are some great checklists out there for writers to fill-out on their MC.

I like to have a physical description of the h/h if not in the first introduction, then by the second.  It's important to make these natural.  Looking into the mirror is cliche unless you can do it well or make it intrinsic to the scene.

You, as the writer, need to know the characters' backstory really well...but the reader doesn't necessarily - at least off the bat.

For SK, as I mentioned in previous posts my hero is much clearer in my mind than my heroine.

Workshop 6, 7, 8: Turning Points, Scenes and Backstory
For those who write romances, you may have heard of the W chart, which is a nifty little tool to track character and story arcs.  (I couldn't seem to find a readily available link to this online, so I'll try to post a separate entry on this later this week.)

Scene cards...I've actually never done them, though every time I begin a new story I say I will.  Again, beginning writers tend to do information dumps and it's important to weave things in naturally.  Operation Agent Ink has provided some examples.


No comments:

Post a Comment